• LifeInOregon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I wouldn’t describe myself as a fanboy, but here’s my reasons for continuing to use an iPhone and not moving to Android:

1. I’ve been a Mac user for over 20 years. I’ve got a lot of Mac software that I use that have iOS only counterparts, and I’ve no interest in comparable software. The inertia of daily use software is a huge incentive for me.
    2. In the case of USB C vs Lightning or 2.0 vs. 3.v, I genuinely don’t use USB for file transfer to and from my phone. I may be a unicorn, but iCloud file sync and iCloud Photos have always worked reliably for me. Documents are on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac when I go looking for them. Photos and videos are there when I go looking for them. I don’t think I’ve plugged my iPhone into a computer (Mac or otherwise) in the last four years.
    3. I’ve charged on a QI charger for as long as I can remember (and a 3d printed MagSafe stand now). I have several lightning cables stashed away, but I actually loaned them out more than I use them. And my battery life is not a major concern for me. Since the iPhone X I’ve mostly managed all day battery life between my bedside and desktop chargers. And most days I use my phone lightly enough that I don’t need frequent charge ups.
    4. And the last bit: long term support. I hand down my devices about two years after getting them (in my immediate and extended family). I have family members with six year old iPhones who are still receiving software updates to the most recent OS. My iPhone X being used by my daughter won’t get iOS 17 this year, but it’s from 2017. And when I upgrade later this fall I’ll replace the battery in my 13 Pro, and hand it off to her. My son has an iPhone 12 that my wife handed down to him, last year. iPhones “wear” well.
    • exohuman@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I agree about the iPhones wearing well. Folks in my family pass down their iPhones too, but the ones with Android phones don’t seem to last. The lose support so quickly it’s not even funny.

• oij2@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Some Androids have extremely long support times, like the Fairphone. But as a general rule, yes, this is true. Unless you buy a Fairphone, or a model that is supported by Linage and root it, you’re losing software updates after just 2 years, which is insane.