• psycho_driver@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

I pretty much re-invented myself around 20 and became a much better person for it and have had a pretty great life for the past fifteen years or so.

Ironically I had a lot of friends growing up but almost all of them turned into garbage monsters and I actually chose to be friend-free outside of my significant other not long after 20 and I really don’t miss the friend experience. I do have a lot of casual acquaintances and my wife tells me I’m great in social situations but I just don’t feel the need any more to expend energy on friends when I have my family and hobbies.

• grandkaiser@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I pretty much re-invented myself around 20

Same. I was an absolutely horrible person. Was a total failure headed for jail. Finally realized it one day when my ex girlfriend sprayed me with mace. Was that day, face puffy and swollen, that I realized I had become bad guy that people live in fear of. I completely reinvented myself. Lost all of my friends, girlfriend, apartment, basically everything. Joined the military with $200 in my bank account and no debts unpaid. 10 years later and I have a successful career, good friends, wife, and expecting my first child in two months from now.