Is it possible to get a list of all the various tweaks I’ve made to my system? Over the years I’ve probably installed and uninstalled a bunch of apps, tweaked and untweaked a bunch of configuration settings, ran a bunch of scripts that did god knows what to my system. To be fair, it’s probably my fault for not writing them all down.

However can I somehow figure out how different my system is from a clean install? For example my system didn’t come with any swap space so I added some. I remember doing that recently. However suppose I forgot that I did that (because it might have been a long time ago) how would I have rediscovered that and other changes I might have made to the system?

Thanks 👍.

• nop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

I always put etckeeper on my hosts as an early step. Not quite what you are asking for, but most config is represented in /etc, so having that saved in git is quite a treat.

• mannycalavera@feddit.ukOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

I’ve never heard of this but did a quick search on how it works. What a great little tool!

I’ll definitely start using this from how on.

• eneff
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 hours ago

This problem is one of the reasons I fell in love with declarative configuration. It’s all there.