Legal analysis released by Legal Defense Fund highlights specific harms rightwing plan poses to Black communities

Project 2025, the 900-page ultra-conservative roadmap that details how the former president Donald Trump and his allies would restructure the US government if he is elected, has specific implications for Black Americans, according to a new report.

The Legal Defense Fund (LDF), an organization that fights for racial justice, recently released the most in-depth legal analysis of Project 2025’s impact on Black communities. It highlights how Black Americans would be harmed due to policies that would weaken anti-discrimination laws; dismantle the Department of Education; threaten Black political power; increase the use of the death penalty (which disproportionately affects Black people); and exacerbate health disparities caused by environmental racism.

Karla McKanders, the director of the LDF’s Thurgood Marshall Institute (TMI), the in-house research thinktank that produced the report, said she wanted people to understand the “larger impact that Project 2025 will have on our democracy and undermining our democracy”.

• Cleggory@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

I didn’t say this story was blaming black people. I pointed out the fact that liberals have generally been quick to blame black people for Trump’s success rather than his characteristically white base.

This election, like every other in American history, does not hinge on the black vote. It very clearly hinges on the white vote.

• nomous@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

the fact that liberals have generally been quick to blame black people for Trump’s success rather than his characteristically white base.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that Mr. Badfaith, what “liberal cities” did you look at?

• Cleggory@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 hours ago

Ironic name-calling from someone pleading absolute ignorance regarding the black voter blame game.

Why engage in a question you admit to hold utter ignorance?

instances of liberal news outlets that scrutinized Black voters and their potential support for Donald Trump:

The New York Times: An article titled “Are Black Voters Abandoning the Democratic Party?” (October 17, 2024) examined the possibility of Black voters defecting to Trump, citing polls and expert analysis.
        Mother Jones: A podcast episode, “Why You Shouldn’t Buy the Election Narrative About Black Men” (October 2024), critically evaluated the notion that Black men were leaving the Democratic Party to support Trump, featuring interviews with Black conservatives and experts.
        Reveal (a podcast from The Center for Investigative Reporting): An episode (October 2024) explored the enduring appeal of conservatism among some Black voters, featuring interviews with Black Trump supporters and experts.
        Newsweek: An article titled “Donald Trump’s Success With Black Voters Might be a Myth After All” (October 19, 2024) questioned the notion of Trump’s strong support among Black voters, citing expert analysis and polling data.

• nomous@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 hours ago

A couple opinion pieces and podcasts are “liberals being generally quick to blame black people for Trump’s success” ?

That’s a pretty low bar and doesn’t make it sound widespread at all.

• Cleggory@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 hours ago

Where’s your “bar” then? You want a list of every single media outlet that scrutinizes black voters as if they are a dominant voting block?

Where is your goal post hiding now so I can hurry along to meet it?

• nomous@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 hours ago

“Uhhh liBeRaL cITiES!”

There’s not a thing you could say to convince me you don’t have ulterior motives champ.

• Cleggory@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 hours ago

There’s not a thing you could say to overcome my prejudiced view of you.

Typical white American bigot logic.