Hey all,

So I’ve been playing with Nginx so that I can reference my self hosted services internally by hostname rather than by IP and port.

I set some custom entries in my pihole, setup the proxies on Nxing, and boom. All is working as expected. I can access Jellyfin via jellyfin.homelab, amp via amp.homelab, etc.

I wanted to have all of these internally facing, because I don’t really have a need for them outside of my network, and really just wanted the convenience of referencing them.

Question 1) If I wanted to add SSL certs to my made up homelab domain, how hard would that be?

Question 2) When accessing something like Jellyfin via jellyfin.homelab, all traffic is then going through my nginx VM, correct? Or is Nginx just acting as a sort of lookup which passes on the correct IP and port information?

• untilyouarrived@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use a real domain name, but only have them available internally (and use WireGuard to access them when out and about). You can use letsencrypt with them then because you can validate through DNS.

• root@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I see. I have a valid domain as well that I could use, which would make things easier. I guess after I set things up, I can lock down Nginx/ my home lab again, and the certs would still work. My biggest worry was exposing my internal systems to the world.

• untilyouarrived@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Yeah. I don’t expose anything other than the WireGuard port.

You can validate the wildcard certificate at your registrar, so you don’t need to open anything up to the world.

• root@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Would you need to leave Nginx “online” after setting up the certs? I have mine so that it can’t reach out at all.