I installed EmuDeck on my Steam Deck. I haven’t done any custom configs or anything, just using the EmuDeck installed defaults. To run Pokemon SoulSilver it is using the retroarch core melonds. I can load up my saves on the deck, play them, then save a new one no problem. I recently got syncthing running on the deck to sync my saves to other devices. On all my other devices when I start the game (using the same core in retroarch) and press start I get an in game error that seems to be from the core or rom itself, definitely not from retroarch, that reads “A communication error has occurred. You will be returned to the title screen. Please press the A Button.”

Is there something EmuDeck changes from the standard RetroArch settings for saves? I’ve tried to find something that could cause this issue but I cannot find an important seeming setting in the UI that could cause this and I’m starting to lose my mind.

• Fubarberry@sopuli.xyzM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Just to make sure:

• The games will run on other platforms, just fail to run if you have the save file from the deck?

• Have you tried an md5 check or anything to make sure the save files aren’t somehow being corrupted during sync?

• silmarineOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 hours ago

Correct. If I remove the save then the ROM will take me to the tutorial and everything. I hadn’t done an md5 check but your first question had me try something else: i removed the save, started a new game on my phone and saved it the first moment I could. Closed retroarch and restarted it on my phone again, and I got the error again, even though the sage was created by that exact retroarch instance. Then i tried the mew save on the deck and it loaded fine. Seems like I just have an issue with retro arch on my other devices but not the save itself.

• silmarineOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Lol, yeah, why are you working on my stream deck but my other devices?

• JohnWorks@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Are they the saves for the rom or is it a save state? I know saves on something like GBA need to be configured for flash type but idk if the same is needed for DS games.

• silmarineOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

From the ROM. I’ve actually not tried a state because I usually don’t use them.

This is an interesting point. One of my other devices is my android, so flash, but another is a laptop with an HDD.

• JohnWorks@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Ah sorry GBA games have like 5 different save types based on the flash used in them. Like EEPROM, SRAM, and FLASH. Usually that’d need to be configured in the emulator for the save type per game if it isn’t auto detected but I’m not aware of that being the case for DS. You could try a save state on one device and see if it loads on another.