• PrimeMinisterKeyes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

You might take the Q&A with Frank Lloyd Wright as a counterexample (abridged, emphasis mine):

Q: Do you think that you are at any less rebellious, less of a radical in your art and life than you were a quarter of a century ago, Mr. Wright?

A: Rather more so. Only more quiet about it. Warren McArthur, a very good friend of mine, once said to me, “Frank, hear, you don’t have to paint your shirt front red and stand out in the street and holler about this,” and I began to think it over and I think he’s right.
    If it is right and if it is good and it is sound, it’ll defend YOU if you give it a chance.
    Lloyd Lewis came to me once when I was rolling the reporters downhill in a kerosene barrel to get rid of them. “Frank,” he said, “these boys have to live. Don’t you understand that you’re bringing all this down on yourself just because you haven’t got the wit to be kind to them and to see that they’re sent out here to get something and if they don’t get it, they may get fired.”
    He said: “It takes all kinds, Frank, to make a world.”
    And so I began to give. Here I am, giving again.

~~

Bear in mind that in this interview, he is looking back on a life full of accomplishments, and had to overcome strong headwinds at times. The other snippets on the page linked above can give you an idea of this as well.