Its time to switch to Linux!

• tequinhu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

I would disagree on the basis that Linux upgrades don’t require hardware upgrades (unless you have a very low end hardware that’s hanging by a thread already)

For example, I don’t remember seeing all this fuss about upgrading when people were moving from 8.1 to 10 (but it could just be me on my bubble)

• Xatolos@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

The difference is you now need a TPM 2.0 chip. That’s pretty much it. Hardware requirements were the same as Win8.

If you are using a desktop computer, all you need to do is buy a $20-30 TPM 2.0 module and install it. It connects to a few pins and your done. It’s cheap, simple, and easy to do.

The issue is most people now have laptops and quite a few didn’t have that chip or that version (some have TPM 1.2, which isn’t as secure anymore.) and you can’t install it on a laptop motherboard. TPM 2.0 has been available since mid-2016, but some manufacturers might have cheapened out and not added it to save costs as it wasn’t a necessary part. So basically, any laptop that is 9 years or older (or the manufacturer cheapened out) won’t be able to upgrade to Win11.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

Unless something has changed they took an axe to all 7th gen and older Intel CPUs and Ryzen 2000 and older AMD CPUs. This is the big challenge since this includes some very capable systems that are now just ewaste because Microsoft didn’t want to maintain compatibility all the way back to the Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo and cut off platforms that still have life left in them

• Daveyborn@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          17 hours ago

I don’t have any without. I do have ones where it’s not mentioned in the manual but clearly there though. Edit: double checked the 9 boards I have laying around. All of them going back to 4th gen intel have them. dont have any pre ryzen amd laying around to check though.

• spookedintownsville@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            17 hours ago

I’m likely going to have to upgrade to ryzen or similar if I wanted to dual boot 11. I’m on an FX-8350 so it might be time anyway.

• Daveyborn@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              16 hours ago

You’ve gotten good time out of that system for sure. You can find good deals on ryzen 3000 and 5000 stuff right now.