As Reddit melts down, users are fleeing to lemmy, kbin, tildes and more.

• 640kb@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The irony is that reddit is creating its own competition - when before there was nothing.

Back tracking a few years when digg began to self-destruct, reddit was, in fact, a viable competitor.

Reddit never had a competitor until reddit itself, through the sheer incompetence of its gaslighting CEO, forced the creation of multiple (now) viable competitors.

• PupBiru@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

yes and no: lemmy released in 2019, so let’s not sell the fediverse short! people decided that a federated forum-like platform should exist irrespective of reddit’s current implosion!

i think it’s important to acknowledge that these platforms exist not only because of reddit’s incompetence: they have value regardless (ie, even if reddit does a 180 ;) )!

*edit: of course you’re totally right that reddit has helped to make the platforms viable competition with their exodus

• SurrealVision@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Reddit never had a competitor until reddit itself

4chan is a competitor, a shitty alternative, but still a competitor

• nahida@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Voat came out in 2014 and was kinda big for a while. I used it for a few weeks, but activity started dying down and I didn’t think about it again until I found out it was being shut down in 2020. The Wikipedia article says many of the users migrated from subreddits on the right of the political spectrum, so maybe that’s why.

This time it’s different, though. The recent drama affects way more than just a couple subreddits.