As Reddit melts down, users are fleeing to lemmy, kbin, tildes and more.

• nucleative@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I wonder what the atmosphere at reddit HQ is like this week.

Phew we really fucked that up, but glad that’s over! Now let’s get back to finishing up these new mod tools and releasing a great mobile app and finally releasing the fix to the video player

-or-

fires! Spez-ssistant: “Mr. Spez, another investor is blowing up my phone all morning, can I transfer the call?” Spez: “No, hold my calls, I’m searching for a PR company. Did any of those other ones answer your emails yet?” Spez-ssistant: “No Spez, they all said they are too far booked out on this submersible company thing” Spez: “Dammit! What about our moderators?” Spez-ssistant: “Bad news, the top subs are full of literal buttholes and there is nobody to delete them now that we banned most of the mods” Spez: “What if I promote you and all your friends, can you guys stay on top of this for a while?” Spez-ssistant: “I just got an email from CircleJerk Securities, it says they are pulling out of the IPO!”

*Edit: I see that my battles with formatting will continue

• deadlyduplicate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

More likely they are expecting this to blow over and people to return to reddit. This isn’t the first-time people have called for a mass exodus and they are expecting it to go like it has before.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It all depends on whether or not lemmy can prevent itself from devolving into an ultra-political shithole, without becoming too restrictive.

• Jfkevorkian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Well how many people do you think actually left Reddit or care? Not counting the mods, maybe 0.1% of Reddit users???

• krayj@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

finally releasing the fix to the video player

This has been so hopelessly broken for so long that it’s basically become a meme of its own. It’s been so broken for so long that its actually kind of impressive…in a bad way.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Spez: “What if I promote you and all your friends, can you guys stay on top of this for a while?” Spez-ssistant: “I just got an email from CircleJerk Securities, it says they are pulling out of the IPO!”

You forgot the part where Spez-sisstant says “but if we exercise that much direct editorial control, we’ll fall afoul of Section 230 and lose our DMCA safe harbor.”

(But then again, I’m probably giving too much credit to Spez-sisstant.)