• medgremlin@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

Stories like this make me very glad that I got my pediatric experience in a good children’s hospital before starting medical school. The attending physicians made sure to drill it into everyone’s heads that if the parent is expressing concern about a change in condition or “something just not being right”, you report that to the patient’s physician and nurse ASAP. Everyone from the physicians down to the admin folks were empowered to challenge decisions they thought weren’t in the patient’s best interest.

Hell, I even had a case where, as the ER tech, I challenged a physician on her diagnosis of a child and refused to let her discharge the kiddo without looking at him again. The mom told me something was wrong, and even with just an EMT license, I was able to see something was subtly wrong as well. It turns out the mom and I were right and the physician changed her diagnosis and admitted him to the hospital for treatment instead of discharging him home to follow up in clinic in a couple days.