Hi folks. Recently I have ripped some Blurays that I bought because I couldn’t find them online. I’m using MakeMKV for that and it does a fine job decrypting discs to my harddrive. Most discs have a single or maybe two or three m2ts files that I could then convert to a mp4/mkv file afterwards using Handbrake.

However, some of the Blurays have a lot of m2ts files (in BDMV/STREAM) that need to be combined to a single result. From what I understand this is not mainly the film industry making my life hard on purpose, but there are different localizations of the videos in place (german, english, french, etc.).

I know there are playlist files in a separate folder (BDMV/PLAYLIST), and they probably are used to link all those video files together in the correct order. But I cannot seem to find tooling to read these files (in a Linux environment, that is).

I might not have the optimal ripping/converting process in place, yet - actually I’m pretty sure of that. But also I can’t find much more useful information, right now. Is anybody able to help me here? I really don’t want to go through hundreds of file manually, for some discs.

• ramble81@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 minutes ago

Usually what I’ll do is I’ll recombine the folders into an iso file using mkisofs and then keep the ISO as it keeps all the menus and everything in tact. Later if you want, you can run that ISO through MakeMKV and just rip out an MKV of the main title through. But since I have enough disc space I just rip all my DVDs and BDs to straight ISOs to keep all the menus and extras in tact for later.

• Link@rentadrunk.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

MakeMKV can rip straight to .MKV files so you don’t need to use handbreak at all unless you want to compress it.