• Pipoca@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

American eggs have a longer shelf life, but it’s because they’re refrigerated rather than left out at room temp.

• general_kitten@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

if you refrigerate european eggs they can last very long also. Just anecdotal evidence but i have never encountered a rotten egg and i have cooked a lot of eggs

• socsa@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The problem is then more about potentially contaminating your refrigerator where you keep various raw foods. That’s kind of the entire justification for why eggs in the US get washed.

• general_kitten@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

eggs here are almost always clean already as consumers dont like to buy dirty eggs and are considered also safe enough to not contaminate any other raw food

• ninjakitty7@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Yep, we refrigerate pre washed eggs here in the US. Never really had issues with shelf life, and we don’t have to wash them or handle chicken feces in the kitchen. I imagine the risk of contamination from handling unwashed eggs is probably about the same as the risk of having potentially sooner to spoil eggs in the fridge.

• IWantToFuckSpez@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah I live in the EU and never had an salmonella infection from unwashed eggs in my life and I often eat raw eggs. The chance of getting salmonella from eggs nowadays is really small since chickens are all vaccinated.