Lately I often read about kbin.social being similar to lemmy but more accessible. So I created an account there to check it out. My experience so far is a little mixed. From kbin I can access all Lemmy posts, although I find the interface less intuitive to join new communities. So from the kbin side it feels like an other Lemmy instance.

But when searching for kbin from this Lemmy Account, I do not find much. I feel like I am missing some basic concept, that makes it pretty clear. Why this is such a one way experience.

So now I am wondering: How does this work, what are the difference, what do both sites have in common?

• acedelgado@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Kbin is newer, so it has less traffic on its magazines than communities on Lemmy do, at least at the moment. Just like in Lemmy or other fediverse instances, to see kbin magazines someone has had to search for them on your Lemmy instance before they’ll show up on your instance. So more people searching for Lemmy communities in your insurance rather than kbin’s magazines means less will show up on your feed. That’s what they have in common.

Kbin itself is a different software backend to access the fediverse. It supports viewing/subscibing/posting to Lemmy communities in other fediverse instances, but also has microblogging support (basically like random Twitter posts) that supports mastodon (fediverse Twitter). It also has a lot of customization options if you go into your kbin settings. Plus I read kbin doesn’t rely on Javascript like Lemmy does, so that’s a nice security bonus.

Kbin is much newer but I like the direction it’s going. They do need to simplify link aggregation to make it a bit easier to view communities, but it’s a work in progress that has a lot of potential.