Lately I often read about kbin.social being similar to lemmy but more accessible. So I created an account there to check it out. My experience so far is a little mixed. From kbin I can access all Lemmy posts, although I find the interface less intuitive to join new communities. So from the kbin side it feels like an other Lemmy instance.

But when searching for kbin from this Lemmy Account, I do not find much. I feel like I am missing some basic concept, that makes it pretty clear. Why this is such a one way experience.

So now I am wondering: How does this work, what are the difference, what do both sites have in common?

• 0xtero@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Also, Lemmys devs have pretty radical political views and I don’t want to support sites that don’t care about human rights

• jadedctrl@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Lemmy isn’t a site, it’s a piece of server-software. The software is written by a couple of people with bad political opinions, who also run a popular site using that software, Lemmy.ml.

You can skip using Lemmy.ml and just use another server using this software. The software itself isn’t magically poisoned or anything!

• Ko'vari@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

That seems a rather simple statement to throw out there without backing it up…are we supposed to just repeat information like parrots now? Or is there information out there I haven’t been made aware of?

• jadedctrl@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

From what I understand, one of the core devs (Dessalines) is a Marxist-Lenninist; they later founded the second Lemmy instance, Lemmygrad.ml.

Recently, there was some discussion on Lemmy.ml’s (the first and official-ish instance) policy of banning any crticisms of China’s government (e.g., even mentioning the Uyghur genocide) on their own servers.

• Ko'vari@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Hmm… I see the points being made. Thanks for supplying actual information. I think it’s a bit too soon to see how this will play out, and people are quite malleable, so this will be interesting to watch develop.

• mrmanager@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Whatever country you are in, they don’t actually care about human rights. It’s all driven by greed and power.