Hi all. Noob question/s here. I want to be able to access my Immich server (docker) externally and maybe set up some others (e.g. Mealio). My understanding is that I need (should) use NGINX reverse proxy for this. My questions are:

1. Do I need to set up NGINX on a VPS (or similar cloud based server) to send the queries to my home box?

2. Do I need to purchase a domain (randomblahblah.xyz) to use as the main access route from outside my house?

Thanks a lot.

• PriorProject@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Tailscale is out, unfortunately. Because the server also runs Plex and I need to use it with Chromecast on remote access…

I rather suspect you already understand this, but for anyone following along… Tailscale can be combined with other networking techniques as well. So one could:

• Access Plex from a Chromecast on your home network using your physical IP, and on your tailnet using the overlay IP.
    • Or one could have some services exposed publicly and others exposed on the tailnet. So Immich could be on the tailnet while Plex is exposed differently.

It’s not an all or nothing proposition, but of course the more networking components you have the more complicated everything gets. If one can simplify, it’s often well worth doing so.

Good luck, however you approach it.