Tesla braces for its first trial involving Autopilot fatality::Tesla Inc is set to defend itself for the first time at trial against allegations that failure of its Autopilot driver assistant feature led to death, in what will likely be a major test of Chief Executive Elon Musk’s assertions about the technology.

• qyron@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I really want to trust you’re throwing a dark joke up but the sheer concept of suicide booths is a very harsh critique at a failed society. A very failed society. For it to become a joke…Call me square but that is a joke haimed to who laughs on it.

• ours@lemmy.film
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

And Futurama likes to reference many works of science fiction. Many of these cover the subject of dystopian/utopian societies where suicide is facilitated/promoted/mandated.

Futurama makes at least one direct reference to Soylent Green for one (Soylent Soda).

• noughtnaut@feddit.dk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I take it you haven’t watched Futurama? For one, the depicted um, procedure looks rather painless-free, but also it fails entirely and the protagonist(s!) step out unscathed.

• qyron@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

My country is going through a very disputed approval over legislation for medically assisted death, for incurable conditions.

It was sent to the Constitutional Court three times and twice vetoed by the president, one for political reasons.

The majority of the population supports it.

• Quokka@quokk.au
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Good luck with that. Hope it can alleviate some people’s suffering.

We’ve basically got it all legal in Australia now, last state ratifies their laws in November.

• qyron@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Oh, it’s going forward, regardless the president personal dislike (devout catholic) and the cries from the church and religious groups.

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Making it accessalbe on what might be a fleeting impulse would be a huge problem though in the case of futurama style suicide booths.

• qyron@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I remember reading an article about an open sourced 3D printable “suicide pod” anyone could build by themselves.