I’ve been using it for a good while now, but figured it’s worth a shoutout incase others don’t know it. one of the few pieces of Go-ware I don’t substantially hate.

I’ve previously slapped together a tiny set of shellscripts for my use of it which you’re welcome to steal from. also recently seen backupninja as something that can use this, but haven’t tried that

• Phil@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I have currently settled on borg for backups personally, combined with some gruesome ssh hackery to let me do pull backups of external machines using ssh tunnelled sockets back to a backup server which is not reachable from the wider internet. These days I might just use tailscale to set up a VPN & pipe the backup straight over that without all the ssh shenanigans but the system I have works. You can also use borg to talk directly to rsync.net at special nerd rates: https://www.rsync.net/products/borg.html Bring your own support!

NB. Last time I looked at this, borg’s cryptography was somewhat suspect. Not actually broken, but definitely not using best practices. Restic is better, but at the time I was looking restic didn’t compress backups so it was a non-starter for me. These days restic does compression as well so is probably the right default choice. Borg2 has a rewritten encryption layer which supposedly fixes all the problems pointed out by cryptographers with Borg1, but it hasn’t hit a release version yet & is still in beta.

• froztbyte@awful.systemsOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah I recall looking at borg as well but bounced off it for a few reasons I can no longer remember (nor do I think I have the list around anymore). I’m told I have a high bar for software I like (personally I think it’s just a sensible starting point and many things are terrible), but I’d bet the assessment boiled down to “ugh, this looks annoying”

Give restic a try :)

• froztbyte@awful.systemsOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

looks interesting. I’ll give it a try sometime for comparison.

weird amount of branding though. lately you usually see this with previously-companyware that got spun out into an open codebase when the company failed, but I didn’t immediately see anything that makes me think this is that