I know some basic HTML, CSS. JS, and very little React – I’m learning it currently. One of the things I see mentioned online is freelancing as a way to earn income. Now, I’ve tried this before in the past on UpWork, and it was nearly impossible to get anything out of it, I rarely received a response and that required submitting a lot of proposals which in turn cost a lot of money.

When I go on UpWork, many of the jobs need WordPress developers or an array of skills I simply do not have and appear to require a lot of time to learn.

Furthermore, I’m in an odd place financially and career wise, where I can’t seem to get a job anywhere, not even at places that would’ve hired me before, and certainly not as a junior developer.

I suppose I’m asking for advice. If freelancing is an option to pursue, how do I go about it in the cheapest and most cost effect way possible? If freelancing is not the right option, then what can I do with what I do know? Lastly, is the job market in a weird state for every sector?

• Decide@programming.devOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is more than I had hoped for, thank you. I also think you’re right, that it’ll work for me. I’d very much like to contribute to something good in the world, and knowing that this was an option that I overlooked helps immensely. When I’ve tried “regular” jobs, I tended to not fit into the setting so well, being that I tend to bring up some philosophical question or ask too many questions in general.

I want to run it down real fast, to be sure I got it all:

1. Go to their site and look for dev credits
    2. Contact the people who made the site, and essentially see if I can join them or take on some work with them.
    3. If it’s not a yes, then ask questions and seek advice.
    4. At some point get a gov job for it’s benefits.

I do have another question I’m curious about. Can you tell me about how you create your static sites? I’ve practiced it in the past, but how do you deal with a large amount of repeated elements? Another question is about your study or learning habits. I know we should practice, but getting some insight into how other people do things sometimes yields new information that might work with me.