• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Andrew Lok Han Chan, who created and convenes the Societas Linguistica Hongkongensis (SLHK) group, said in a Facebook post that the officers from a police division set up to enforce the 2020 national security law, visited a home where some of his family members live last week when he was out of town.

Citing legal risks and a lack of resources, Chan said he immediately dissolved the organisation “in order to ensure the safety of my family and former members”.Chan told the Guardian he was no longer in Hong Kong, and didn’t feel he could return in the current climate.

There has been a push for Mandarin to be more widely taught and used in Hong Kong amid increasing influence by mainland China’s government.

According to an English translation by Quartz reporter Mary Hui, the dystopian essay imagines Hong Kong in 2050, 25 years after a crackdown on linguistic, religious and cultural minorities.

After Beijing imposed a national security law in Hong Kong in 2020, after massive pro-democracy protests, dozens of civil societies have disbanded and more than 260 people have been arrested.

Chan said he believed it was the basic right for Hongkongers to promote their own language and culture, and the group could help foster social harmony.

The original article contains 656 words, the summary contains 209 words. Saved 68%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!