• YurkshireLad@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

In all fairness, my cheap Brother laser printer hasn’t let me down at all. Unlike the HP inkjets of the past.

• AZERTY@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I bought mine (HL2270-DW) 12 years ago for college. Last week I plugged it in after it sat for several years and printed off some stuff for family with 0 problems. I think it’s only on its second toner as well.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

They last much longer in storage /without printing because toner is a powder, so it can’t dry out. The print head of an inkjet printer (part of the cartridge) will dry out if you don’t use it for a few weeks.

• Vishram1123@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Still the exact same printer my family has been using for the past 10 years after our old Inkjet kicked the bucket a measly 3 months after it was born. And it has seen some stuff, including being dropped at least twice, plastic film in the paper compartment, coffee-stained (for aged effect) paper, and even a x-acto knife blade that somehow ended up in there.

• fiah
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

my wife was having some problems finding the right W11 drivers for our Brother HL-2030 and dared to utter the thought of replacing it

I shut that down right quick

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Windows Update should find the right driver. Failing that, a generic Postscript printer driver should work fine. Windows should have one.

• spencerwi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Conversely, I have a recent-ish (<5yrs old) Brother inkjet printer that’s waiting to be dumped to recycling because it arbitrarily decided that it didn’t ever need to be discoverable or respond to any print requests one day, and so even though there was nothing mechanically wrong with it, even hooking up a Raspberry Pi to run CUPS over USB didn’t fix the issue – because Brother explicitly refuses to publish drivers for the Raspberry Pi, and their inkjet drivers are proprietary.

I’ve since replaced it with the best-reviewed Epson printer I could find that supports a generic PCL driver, so that if Epson ever loses their minds in the way Brother did, I can fall back on an open-source implementation of good ol’ PCL.

That thing’s given us no issues so far.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Heck, even my 7 year old HP laserprinter is doing just fine, still

Granted, I print like 70 pages a year, but that’s still better than the inktjet before!