“Some of you may be willing to die, but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make” but unironically

Edit: The user has since apologised https://hexbear.net/comment/3848285

• nxdefiant@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I would guess that US’s ability to project both hard and soft power grants them the opportunity to do so. I can’t speak to moral authority since you’d have to get everyone to agree on a moral authority to even have that discussion. I’m literally just trying to figure out what everyone thinks is actually happening, but everyone here seems content to stop at entertaining themselves with their own words.

It seems to me that Putin thought he had this same ability to influence the world around him, but misjudged his and his country’s ability to do either of those things, and is now reaping the rewards of that misjudgement. Sovereignty seems to be a sword of many edges for him.

• RollaD20 [comrade/them, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yeah that’s fair, these threads aren’t great for getting a sense of what people’s ideas are here. Especially since folks end up fairly antagonistic and the comments pile up. If you are curious, Here is a pretty good comment on the war, and I do recommend using the search function and just perusing the longer (especially sourced, read the sources!) and more effortful comments.