My favorite Quake title is being remastered! One of my most nostalgic PC titles from the 90s. Finally a remaster I’m excited about.

• Kasion@lemmy.mackners.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d assume this is going to have some clunky new game engine that looks good but doesn’t feel as smooth as the old engine. The big point of quake was the quick and smooth movement, not many modern games have this as they all go for more realistic physics.

• MeowKittyWow@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s exciting :) I definitely have a lot of nostalgia for Quake 2. The Quake 1 remaster from a little while back was really well done, and remained true to the original, so I hope this keeps that up.

• Mugmoor@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If it’s anything like their other releases for Doom/Quake, then you’re better off using a Source Port instead.

• Poopfeast420@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I played through those releases recently and thought they were fine. They looked great and played great as well.

I’m not interested in mods or custom wads, just want a fairly vanilla experience to play through the games, so I’m excited for this remaster.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I didn’t mean to imply that they’re bad ports, just not as fleshed out/mature as the ones the Open Source community has built.

• Poopfeast420@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

True about the Bethesda Net stuff, but for me, it just meant the game launched 3s slower. I’ve read some comments that the servers sucked at some point. If it took much longer or maybe even prevented the game from working properly, I’d probably be more passionate about it.

I played through Heretic with GZDoom, since the Steam release is just the original game running in DOSBox. It’s not like it was complicated setting it all up, but definitely not as plug-and-play as the Unity ports.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Most have controller support, but not split screen. If you want those features you’re actually are better off with a console port.

• marco@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Because of this post I just did a little round of Quake 1 (with glQuake) - it’s amazing how much the brain retains … from 1996?!? Shot this, push this, sink into this to find the secrets ;)

• ed@battleangels.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@Jeze3D@beehaw.org @gaming@beehaw.org While I didn’t particularly enjoy the campaign, I have fond memories of being up in the early hours waiting to download the demo on the old 56k modem as soon as it dropped. Chatting on icq.

Good to see it get some love.

• inode@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Probably the best quake game with a story. I would argue Quake 3 Arena was the best in terms of popularity but as far as the Quake games with an actual campaign, this is probably the best of them. Quake 4 felt like a remake of Quake 2 but it wasn’t as fun. Quake 2 had a RTX version made as well which could be seen as a remaster. I wonder if its really just a remaster or an actual remake.

• RedditExodus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The soundtrack was amazing too. I ripped it to MP3 from the CD years ago when CDs and MP3s were still a thing. I listen to the soundtrack regularly to this day.

• 23EBnbaem@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Would be awesome if they finished the Zaero mission pack. Despite the bad reviews, I really liked all the badass sci-fi. Quake 2 is the peak of FPS to me

• Shiroa@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Would be real interesting to see it run at GDQ, you know, to really make the whole speedrunning thing come full circle.