Film director James Cameron has expertise in designing and testing these submersibles, and he has many criticisms of the design of the sub that imploded, and of the hubris of the CEO who ignored repeated safety warnings from the diving community. He also mentions that the sub seems to have been attempting to resurface when it imploded, suggesting that they were aware the hull was starting to fail.

• RustledTeapot@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This trend of companies firing the person responsible for giving safety warnings is really troubling, and I’m concerned that our whole planet is going to go down like that someday.

• blivet@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

“The planet,” in terms of a rock orbiting the Sun, sure, but we are killing an awful lot of flora and fauna that would be doing fine if we weren’t around to fuck things up.

• TheCalzoneMan@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Life always finds a way. At least until the moon has drifted so far from our orbit that our atmosphere is no longer sustainable and the oceans boil off the surface of the planet.

• blivet@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Life always finds a way.

Are you sure? Even if it’s true, I like the life forms we’ve got right now an awful lot, and they don’t deserve what we’re doing to them.

• arefx@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Just nudge the moon back like that asteroid we slammed the thing into.

• laird_dave@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yes and the 6th mass extinction event is well underway. Still, the planet’s life forms bounced back before and will do so again, I guess.