• Plantee@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I think this is the most overlooked aspect, besides it never being in time to do any good for the crisis we are in now.

I believe, the increasing cost and loss in efficiency compared to alternatives will always be an issue for NE to be out-priced by solar and wind (Dunai, 2019; WNSIR, 2022). These cost will eventually come back to the end user.
    Most definitely the reason why nuclear advocates want the government to give securities and don’t dear to be the entrepreneurs they claim to be (NOS Nieuws, 2018). Please give me some welfare state, but I’d rather have some more solid solutions.

Costs. Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) analysis by U.S. bank Lazard shows that between
    2009 and 2021, utility-scale solar costs came down 90 percent and wind 72 percent, while
    new nuclear costs increased by 36 percent. The gap continues to widen. Estimates by the
    International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) has seen the LCOE for wind drop by
    15 percent and solar by 13 percent between 2020 and 2021 alone. IRENA also calculated that
    800 GW of existing coal-fired capacity in the world have higher operating costs than new
    utility-scale solar photovoltaics (PV) and new onshore wind (WNSIR, 2022).