• kool_newt@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Right, also nuclear power helps maintain centralization and authoritarian control of populations. Decentralization everywhere is the future for both energy and security reasons.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Eh, I agree that decentralisation is good, but I don’t think you need such an extreme conspiracy to explain why.

It’s not about “authoritarian control”. It’s just about corporate profits.

• kool_newt@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Money and power, it’s both. I agree that during “normal” times it’s primarily greed driving centralization, at least of things like electricity generation so that usage can be metered and charged for.

But here are people out there that want power and they are willing to do extreme things to get or keep it. Of the top of my head:

• Trump
        • Putin
        • Xi
        • pretty much any political party
        • pretty much any industry organization (energy industry, etc)

I’m sure you’ve heard about other countries having societal issues and the state shuts down the internet? This is what centralization makes possible. It’s been done, it will be done again. When power is at risk, extreme measures are taken, and centralization facilitates this.