• blazera@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I dont think you read your source quite right. The classification for high level waste is the most radioactive spent fuel, but it is absolutely not safe after a few decades, it decays into still dangerously radioactive isotopes. Maybe you read the part about the dry casques being rated for 40 years but keep reading. They are a temporary solution, and the waste still needs to be buried for tens of thousands of years. Which is a big problem right now because, from your source

At this time there are no facilities for permanent disposal of high-level waste.

• Osma A@mas.to
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

@blazera
      I did not say it was safe, I said after a few decades is far easier to process. It does not remain “crazy” high radioactive for thousands of years - that is pure hyperbole. The chart attached illustrates radiotoxicity if ingested - and no one advises anyone to eat nuclear waste.

Ps. There is a country which has solved long term storage. Guess where I live.
      Source: https://www.osti.gov/etdeweb/servlets/purl/587853#
      @dilmandila

• blazera@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

And what you said was still wrong, it still remains dangerously radioactive, and must be stored for tens of thousands of years. Like, youre not gonna find me a source saying this shit doesnt need to be stored for tens of thousands of years.