A warning and a perspective from an insider who has been through this before.

• grue@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Think less “Bitcoin” and more “Freenet.” IMO the point shouldn’t be to try to monetize stuff, it should be to decouple content from the instance it was posted on (i.e., to mirror popular content across instances to distribute the load) while still maintaining control and attribution for the user that posted it.

• QHC@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

But how does blockchain, as a technology, help with that? The Fediverse already has a mechanism for distributing content across multiple instances.

• fiah
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

doesn’t have to be blockchain based, but there should be some sort of incentive for people to take up the burden of hosting (and moderating, I guess) like blockchains have for people to run nodes, or instances will start shutting down eventually when the people who were footing the bill get tired of it. Or maybe I’m wrong and instances will survive on donations and goodwill of their moderators. I’m not sure how that’d work if communities get really big though

• Wizard@lemmy.dustybeer.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think at this point even tech bros hate people that try to insert the blockchain and cryptowhatever into everything.