A warning and a perspective from an insider who has been through this before.

• limelight79@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This made me wonder - what happens if my chosen Lemmy server goes down? Do I lose my account?

Hopefully, some kind of account portability is possible or in consideration. Even if it’s a manual download of settings and subscriptions that could easily be uploaded to another instance.

• DM_Gold@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As of right now, yes your account would go poof. Mastodon currently has a way to migrate servers, but it hasn’t been implemented in Lemmy yet. I’m sure at some point it will become available, but if you are worried about all your posts I’d make local backups for now.

• limelight79@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks. I’m not really worried about my comments, nothing I’m saying is that useful long term. It’s more the list of subscriptions, that would be a headache to recreate.

• Wizard@lemmy.dustybeer.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I had to reinstall my local instance, and wasn’t able to import my old database. That meant I had to go re-subscribe to everything and even worse, nothing on my account will actually federate. Comments I make on the “main” admin account won’t federate anywhere, because the instances see that “old” user with the same name, but exchange is different.

So I had to create this second account, and use this to comment on things with. It’s a pain, but hopefully it gets better. Even if it’s just being able to export my subscriptions so I don’t have to try to find them all again.