The admin of sh.itjust.works has been approached but as of yet has failed to reply to concerned Lemmy users. I’m glad Beehaw admins look out for us by cutting off instances that host communities like this.

• Crimfresh@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s a never ending sea of people like you who just make assumptions about others. You know fucking nothing about me and have already dismissed my position in favor of free speech because you’re so incredibly biased and not open to conversation. It’s not surprising that someone so opposed to any opinions contrary to their narrative is opposed to free speech.

• alyaza [they/she]@beehaw.orgM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You know fucking nothing about me and have already dismissed my position in favor of free speech because you’re so incredibly biased and not open to conversation.

it is a bit wild to get indignant about me immediately writing you off as Yet Another Annoying, Probably White, Probably Cis-Het Man who doesn’t understand why the minorities and transes are so uppity when you literally opened with “Opponents of free speech are far more dangerous than advocating for free speech.” you do realize how that comes off on an instance with a ton of minorities and LGBTQ+ people who are currently having that freedom of speech used to advocate for things up to and including their systematic murder, correct?

• Crimfresh@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I oppose your reactionary, thoughtless response. You think that attempts to silence them is righteous. I think you’re every bit as misled and confused as they are.

And fuck you for your assumptions about my race and gender as if they’re at all relevant to the support of free speech.

You’re just like those people you despise. You make ignorant assumptions, assume righteousness, and refuse to have open discussion. You’re using the EXACT SAME in-group out-group dynamics that are toxic as fuck.

When you find yourself in opposition to the positions held by the ACLU, you’re probably fucking wrong.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

okay so no, i guess you don’t get how this comes off. i’m not even going to dignify your false equivalencies or appeals to the ACLU as if they are infallible or can’t be criticized for some of the positions they take (however principled). i think it’s telling that you’re screaming about how insulting it is for making “assumptions” about you–yet you in no way deviate from how a person who my assumptions apply to would respond here. to put it another way: you’re not beating the Yet Another Annoying, Probably White, Probably Cis-Het Man allegations, and this space isn’t for you. go away.

• Gaywallet (they/it)@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

We are explicitly anti-free speech. In the context of this document on what we stand for, making a statement that “free speech is good” without addressing any of the issues we bring up isn’t operating in good faith towards us, so you should not expect us to treat you similarly.

• Biscuit@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Part of the issue is that the “nazi” line is being placed haphazardly. For example, this comment will be enough for some people to put me on the “nazi” side, without knowing anything about me.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

For example, this comment will be enough for some people to put me on the “nazi” side, without knowing anything about me.

if you have to pre-emptively say this, this is already a self-report. i have literally never been called a Nazi (or anything similar) for saying political things online, and neither have the vast majority of normal people with sane things to say.

• RiikkaTheIcePrincess@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Inaccurate: there are no slurs, guns, not even a dogwhistle on the fash side. angry rant about awful people and ‘freeze peach’ omitted

Thanks for your work on beehaw <3

• ironic_elk@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

“It’s just a differing view point that I think [x] people are the root cause of all the problems in society. In fact, I daresay society would be better without them. I’m not opposed to finding ways to get rid of those people and that they just shouldn’t exist. Why can’t you be civil about me implying genocide against a group of people that have actually not caused any harm to anyone?”

• Biscuit@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

To be fair, I see this said about republicans, and even center/independents, all the time. Dehumanizing is never good.

• ironic_elk@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’ve seen plenty of actual death calls for gay and trans people. A Texas pastor even talked about lining up gay people and shooting them. Or that trans people should be eradicated completely. Donald Trump himself even reposted a tweet where the first sentence was, “the only good democrat is a dead democrat”.

Can’t say I’ve seen nearly anywhere near as much about republicans. Not as many people nor prominent figures. Sure, they’re called corrupt and maybe stupid or harmful or other words but I don’t remember Biden endorsing “the only good republican is a dead republican”.

Obviously if someone says that republicans should all die, then yeah. That’s just as bad. And it does happen. But not nearly as often as minorities get targeted. You’re still right. Dehumanizing is absolutely not good and you should judge each person as an individual. But just realize there’s quite a bit of difference in scope.

• Biscuit@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

near as much about republicans

That’s a pretty poor metric/goal, but you’re obviously right. But, dehumanizing large swaths of strangers is bad. That template, used by anyone, is bad. Full stop.