The admin of sh.itjust.works has been approached but as of yet has failed to reply to concerned Lemmy users. I’m glad Beehaw admins look out for us by cutting off instances that host communities like this.

• doctorzeromd@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Definitely this. Blocking communities is the way to go for community problems. Defederation is for server-wide problems (like the management of bot swarms, which I hope to be a temporary issue and that re-federation will happen as soon as it is resolved)

• Paciphae@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

But isn’t that a slippery slope? If bigotry is tolerated under the mantra of “just block it”, then it shows other even worse things that they have a potential home. Actual CP, extreme gore, whatever.

Give them a proverbial inch, and they’ll take a mile.

• Truck-kun@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s the thing. You can’t do anything but block it. Even banning is just blocking. It’s not like you’re going over where they live with a rifle and pumping a few rounds into them and their children. Defederation is blocking an entire server. Sh.itjust.works has like 6000 people. Defederating the entire server over one dude with 2 accounts shitposting for attention is a bit extreme in my opinion. However! This is not my instance, and beehaw is the most ban-happy instance I’ve seen, so I guess you do you lol.

• Veraticus@lib.lgbt
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I think this implies a server-wide problem actually; that a community like this could exist there, and that it isn’t an immediate, burning problem for the people in that server.