The admin of sh.itjust.works has been approached but as of yet has failed to reply to concerned Lemmy users. I’m glad Beehaw admins look out for us by cutting off instances that host communities like this.

• liminis@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I agree that everything is political, and that some people have the unfair advantage of being able to ignore things that affect others; but what I think this person is saying is that it seems to just be one person, rather than it hosting an actual mirror community for what was r/The_Donald.

And I get what he’s saying when he says:

I’ve been here for only a month now at this point, and what was once an optimistic “lets make a cool new reddit ecosystem with an open and friendly community” has descended to nothing but hostility and vitriol between communities that are mostly filled with people that don’t actually care about politics. because it does seem a bit hasty to start internecine conflict over a single person.

(And I don’t feel like I should need to say that I’m the “kind of person” harmfully affected by people like Trump, but I will say so out of hope that you’ll hear what I’m saying and not dismiss me as another privileged person who doesn’t care.

For as many marginalised people I’ve met who would feel discomfort around remaining federated, I’ve known just as many that get stressed out and exhausted by conflict over what to them seems like a ‘minor thing’, because of the vitriol, spite, etc. that comes with it. Especially when, as the other person above alluded to, some people seem to get involved in these things specifically for the sake of conflict, rather than any meaningful political stance.)

Ultimately I don’t think there’s a useful way to evaluate this until the admins respond (though I don’t know how long it has been, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were overwhelmed with the sudden peak of interest in lemmy and kbin). But given the community over there’s clear, negative reaction to this person, I don’t want to rush to designate them a toxic community.

edit: that instance’s global rules say:

No bigotry - including racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, or xenophobia. Which leads me further down the path of thinking the admins are just preoccupied.

• toadmode@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

For as many marginalised people I’ve met who would feel discomfort around remaining federated, I’ve known just as many that get stressed out and exhausted by conflict over what to them seems like a ‘minor thing’, because of the vitriol, spite, etc. that comes with it. Especially when, as the other person above alluded to, some people seem to get involved in these things specifically for the sake of conflict, rather than any meaningful political stance.)

This was my problem when I tried mastodon. There was always some drama between instances over some minor thing that people decided was the most important thing in the world

• liminis@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, that sounds about right. Honestly, the thing that I find hardest about the internet – and which makes me want to log off indefinitely – is the constant wave of people assuming the absolute worst about everyone, and a kind of ignorance that people can come from different formative experiences without being an enemy.

Not really sure how we solve that one (though I did choose to sign up here because, ostensibly, it’s a place where jumping the gun on judging people – something that is often performative anyway – is discouraged.)