The admin of sh.itjust.works has been approached but as of yet has failed to reply to concerned Lemmy users. I’m glad Beehaw admins look out for us by cutting off instances that host communities like this.

• arctic pie (he/him)@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Glad they deleted it, but I am also glad that the mods saw this possibility and acted proactively before that shit could accidentally make its way onto our timelines. Beehaw is an intentionally safe space - that is much more of a stated goal than protecting libertarian “free-speech” or having an expansive presence on the threadiverse.

Even a single negative or hateful post showing up can have a profoundly negative and harmful effect on the community. We need to take this shit seriously and I am so so so thankful to have mods who are unafraid to act boldly here.

If you want an instance that is 100% reactive to hate speech and prioritizes your access to other instances at the potential risk of other instance members, maybe Beehaw ain’t the place for you (and that’s ok!)

I’m perfectly OK with Beehaw de-fedding from 75%+ of all lemmy inatances, including very large and popular ones, if it means keeping this space consistently free of hate. We are a community, not a platform.

Much love!

• SapphicFemme@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I actually found and reported comments being covertly hateful here and the admins did nothing.

• arctic pie (he/him)@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s concerning and I’m not saying they’re perfect. They’ve been very clear that they’re overwhelmed by all of the new folks here and the unexpected workload. Perhaps already being overloaded with content moderation om Beehaw was reason enough to defed from instances that would only make that problem significantly worse?