The admin of sh.itjust.works has been approached but as of yet has failed to reply to concerned Lemmy users. I’m glad Beehaw admins look out for us by cutting off instances that host communities like this.

• tfpc@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m still a bit lost as to what the effects of defederating is. Like if a user is registered there can they still post on other communities? Or is it a view ban?

• cnqr@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I believe it is that the instance you defederate from can no longer see your posts. You’d still see their posts unless they also defederate from you.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My understanding, someone please correct me if I’m wrong, is that federation is directed meaning you can be federated with someone not federated with you. In addition, federated means pulling. So how Beehaw defederated, if X is still federated with them then X users will see Beehaw threads and can comment on them but Beehaw won’t see those comments. If there is a Y instance that both are federated with mutually then Beehaw would see every thread on Y except ones from X users and comments from X users because Beehaw doesn’t pull them.

That’s my understanding at least, I might be wrong with some of the finer details.