How do you feel about the massive influx of users?

• dogmuffins@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Well it’s a link aggregator and forum, just like reddit, but I feel like lemmy needs time for its own culture to coalesce - rather than expecting reddit culture to be imported or just exist here.

• Lemminary@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I hope it does coalesce into something good. I was so tired of the toxicity on Reddit from both regular users and the power-tripping mods. Yuck.

• dogmuffins@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, I think good / bad would be a generalisation. If lemmy grows then there will be good bits and bad bits. The difference of course is that anyone can spin up their own instance, so there’s much more likelihood that some instances will be predominantly well run and enjoyable to be a part of.

• NEKRONIUM@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The good thing is that if an instance gets too toxic the users that don’t like that can just jump to another one. The ideal would be to move your already existing account to the new instance but I don’t how difficult or how much that would take to implement

• alphapro784@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Honestly its for the best, redditors would be rude af and incel-like as well. It was annoying to dealing with those people every time there was a talk of relationships and gender rather than thinking also approaching about those topics with empathy, respect, kindness and critically as well.

• Ataraxia@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I was thinking that too. Reddit is full of gasligjting and thinly veiled racism/sexism and bigotry… hundreds of comments piling on someone based on a one sided story or a video often ending in doxxing and harrassment.