Warning: Article has detailed accounts of the shooting

Breanna Gayle Devall Runions, 25, was charged with first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse in the death of Evangaline Gunter.

The child’s parents, Adam and Josie Gunter, told ABC affiliate WATE that Evangaline had been in temporary custody at a home in Rockwood, which Runions shared with girlfriend Christina Daniels and another child, a 7-year-old girl.

Before the shooting, Evangaline and the older girl were being punished that morning by Runions for not waking up the women and for eating Daniels’ food without permission, according to the warrant and a statement from Russell Johnson, district attorney general for Tennessee’s 9th Judicial District. Runions struck both girls with a sandal before forcing them to stand in different corners of the women’s bedroom, authorities said the older girl told them.

After the shooting, the women drove Evangaline to a nearby Walmart location to meet an ambulance, Roane County Medical Examiner Dr. Thomas Boduch told the Roane County News, and the vehicle transported the girl to a hospital where she was pronounced dead. Boduch could not immediately be reached by HuffPost.

• ZzyzxRoad@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

temporary custody

Why is it next to impossible for people to get approved to adopt, but any asshole can become a foster parent? I think you need more in-depth screenings to adopt from pet rescues. If the US is going to force pregnancy on people, then they really need to get a handle on the foster system. Because it’s always about “protecting the children,” right?

• Evie @lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Went through the foster care/guardianship in Oregon for us. These kinda stories make me Soo mad. I have a lot of First hand experience with the Oregon foster system… I am adopted myself. I Was in 97 to a single woman in her late 50s (I loved my mom, make no mistake she was great and may she RIP) but it was super easy for her to adopt me… like really easy…

THAT SAID… My husband and I also had to get custody of my nephew from my sister. It was a terrible experience and I almost warn people who are interested in being a foster because of our experience…

My husband and I went through hell and back in Oregon to be become foster parents just so we could take our nephew out of foster care. As we went through the process, We got accused of only wanting him for money by a foster care certifier. (mind you the amount they pay is pennies a month for a kid) God that woman was outrageous and we had to complain to my nephews case worker, that her co-worker was sabotaging our nephews chance at permanent placement and almost backed out because she made us look so bad for asking questions and curious about how to afford this child. Very relevant question to ask, wouldn’t you say? (This foster certifier was very Catholic made it very know to me and my husband. She got upset with us when we told her we are not religious and had to tell us about all the Catholic churches and schools he should be in… and at the time, we were also not married. (Gasp I know!!)

So she put in her report, that she was suspicious of us and our reasons for being interested in this child for suspicious reasons. This was my nephew!! I was there when he was born and everyday since till he went to foster care. My mom died.in 2020 and my sister couldn’t parent without her support… I wanted him home… it was that simple!! But this worker made It a fucking nightmare and I was sooooo angry.

Thanks to his case worker appealing for us and showing the judge the errors the certifier was claiming we finally got the foster parent certification and are now full fledged guardians of him and have yearly check ins… it was a headache and almost impossible with how long it took…

So when I see stories like this and someone who got be a foster who clearly shouldn’t be, INFURIATINES ME!!! we had to work so hard and show everything (not that it was a problem for us, we expected it) but to see those who didn’t get held to the same standards and a kid gets hurt through negligence pisses me off!!

• Astroturfed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s almost like a terribly under funded government system with horrible pay that can be soul crushing doesn’t attract the best possible employees. I’m sure they know that woman is a horrible zealot who they’d love to replace. There’s no one that wants that job though.

Social services in America are embarrassing. Like it’s strait up shameful how bad our systems that are required for a functional society are ran. Reagan successfully demonized government spending as “wasteful” on anything a perfect American nuclear family wouldn’t need. Now everything is shit and the answer to needing government assistance for anything is good luck.

• Evie @lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

So much this!! And I am definitely a victim of it myself as a child growing up… at least I was able to save my nephew

• Misconduct@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I get the feeling that they might be better off with the lesbians tbh. Gay people adopting or being foster parents isn’t a social politically woke experiment. They’re just people doing it for their own reasons like any other couples. I strongly suspect there’s more to them not giving those kids to you and the fact that you had to point out the color of their skin and that they were gay speaks volumes.

• bobman@unilem.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

He mentioned neglect. He could be lying. If it’s true then those people were not fit to take care of them.

• prole@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They’ll just put the group homes on the coal mine’s property. Boom, two birds with one stone. Like the ol “company store” days almost.