It’s not just you — no one is posting on social media anymore::Social media is on the decline. Instagram is all ads. No one’s posting on BeReal. TikTok is for influencers. The new place for sharing: group chats.

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

So this entire article is based on a single person’s anecdotal experience, other than this bit:

Bruening isn’t alone. Despite the efforts of big incumbents and buzzy new apps, the old ways of posting are gone, and people don’t want to go back. Even Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, admitted that users have moved on to direct messages, closed communities, and group chats.

This links to another article from the same site, and the only quote I can find related to any of this is this one:

DMs are also crucial for younger users. “If you look at how teens spend their time on Instagram, they spend more time in DMs than they do in stories, and they spend more time in stories than they do in feed,”

This Instagram head guy says nothing about how “nobody posts on social media anymore”, just that teens spend more time in DMs and stories than in the feed. This just in, kids do things differently than previous generations! Mind blown, A fucking plus journalism right there. You’d think you’d be able to properly quote your own god damn article properly lol.

Honestly I don’t even give a shit about this content, I’m just so sick of biased opinion articles based on the writer’s feelings at the time filling my feed like they’ve uncovered something revolutionary. Stop giving these lazy clickbait news sites your views and fix the dumb bot that keeps posting this bullshit.

• scarabic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I really hate this kind of journalism. I have a friend who is at the top of this food chain: lifestyle section of the NYT. He is always posting weird calls for help to Facebook. “Is your dog experiencing flatulence caused by CBD supplements you bought online? I want to talk to you about an upcoming article.”

It’s like the article is written before the sources are found. Totally stupid and backward. An endless shitpile of made up articles on topics that make elderly white people feel like they are tapped into “trends.”

• Liz@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s 100% how journalism works. If you’re an expert in a field a journalist might call you asking to confirm a statement or a fact that they know. If you correct them and tell them they’re wrong, or that it’s not that simple, they’ll just go find a different expert to confirm their narrative.

Now, to be fair, this style of research isn’t exactly wrong, so long as the writer really is fairly knowledgeable in their own right, and is just looking for an outside source they can point to so it’s not just their own opinion. The problem in the style of writing is when the author does this for things they they don’t understand very well or are just their opinions.

• scarabic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think there’s a difference between consulting an expert on the subject of an article and sending out a call for the very subject to see if you can find it.

• Double_A
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m 30 and as far as I remember everything always was “in the DMs” for all the different social circles I’ve had. Public posts were always a rare thing for special events or so. MSN, ICQ, Skype, WhatsApp, Discord,…