It’s not just you — no one is posting on social media anymore::Social media is on the decline. Instagram is all ads. No one’s posting on BeReal. TikTok is for influencers. The new place for sharing: group chats.

• teemrokit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It was suppose to portray a more causal, carefree experience. As opposed to insta where people stage or try to show off. That’s how it was explained to me.

• howdenethoreats@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

it works well for small family groups - my parents are older and its cool to see what they are up to during the day, and they get to see their grandkids too.

• streetfestival@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m sorry if you felt attacked; that was not my intent.

A lot of the Internet runs on the premise that a convenience is provided to you, and in return your data are harvested and sold to other parties without your awareness. AFAIK, none of that data harvesting and the targeted marketing that goes with it does any good for society - it just makes the wealthy wealthier and the confused more confused. We didn’t vote on this, big tech just took over. And how many people make informed decisions about how their data are harvested today? If you only know half of what you’re authorizing, are you really choosing to do it? Does choice in the digital era exist? Updates and user agreements are forced upon us. Maybe one chooses to use meta or xitter. Once downloaded, the apps choose for them. Every image you upload to BeReal is probably being used for dozens of different data harvesting projects, like training face recognition.

I’m in my 30s. I remember pre cell phones. People younger than me, who grew up with ‘smartphones,’ seem oblivious and unconcerned about how little privacy and control of their information they have. In fact, some of them seem to have contempt for others who express concerns about social media, etc.

I don’t think any individual who chooses to use this platform is creepy. I think the lack of recognition of privacy concerns with such apps - never mind when their use is mandated - is the creepy part. It’s a society thing, not an individual thing

IMO, there’s a lot of creepiness even if the app is not recording from your camera when you’re not using the app, but I respect your opinion if you disagree.