At least 41 people have died in the Lone Star State’s unairconditioned prisons due to heat-related or unknown conditions this summer, according to the Texas Tribune.

Even so, it’s hard to firmly establish how many have succumbed to heat-related illness, according to observers. That’s because TDCJ’s official stance is that no inmates have died of heat exhaustion since 2012 — the same year the agency began to be bombarded with wrongful death lawsuits from inmates’ families, the Tribune reports.

• clara@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

have you considered the EU? here’s some routes for you:

if you are degree qualified, then look into getting an EU blue card. it’s the EU’s answer to the green card, and it’s probably the best way for anyone who’s got the chops. it gives you a near free pick at where you specifically end up. try this page to get a feel of eligible locations, some of the locations need big boy salary, so might be off-limits

do you have any grandparents (or great-grandparents) that are from europe? some countries offer citizenship through descent. if you can prove the descent, then you can register as a citizen. 100% worth checking this. it’s a long shot, with a huge payout if it’s valid. common ones you can check are italy, ireland, hungary, germany (maybe?)

third option for you - “digital nomad” visas are a thing that’s growing. you pick up a remote job for one EU state, and then you can get a visa to live in… a different EU state!? you pay the taxes to the state that is giving you the remote job, and you live in the state that provides the visa. the idea being, where does it even matter where you work, if it’s a remote job? so long as your dues are paid, you can go wild! some digital nomad visas even let you bring family along. not all EU states offer this, you would have to do individual research.

if you are serious about moving somewhere, genuinely serious, then take actionable steps to do it, today. i am a couple years down the path of taking steps to move myself. i don’t know how old you are, but you don’t want to look back and think “i could have took measurable steps when i was younger to get out of here, and i didn’t”. wherever your chosen destination, make it your mission. keep your eyes on the prize.

and lastly, if it doesn’t work out, oh well? at least you tried! you will have gained life experience some americans would dream to get, and you should be able to move back simply. you can’t shake US citizenship that easily ;)