Now with Aurora store out of the picture it seems there is no real alternative to using the Google Play store for apps that cant be downloaded directly or via Fdroid.

But how bad is it actually to use Play store? I never used it before on my current phone, its no problem to create a dummy google account and the apps I need is free so no credit card needs to be registered. But what info will they actually get from my device ? Will they pull my phone number and whatnot ?

• Mahmoud Az@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t know from a security and data-privacy manner, but keep in mind it’s slower and laggier than the other alternative, especially when checking for updates (It will take a long time), and downloading the updates is a painful process.

My experience with Android 8 and 9 is the same.

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The Playstore app is in near constant communication with the Google servers (for “checking updates”), so Google can track you quite well via this.

• CheshireSnake@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not to mention in my experience Play Services can be a battery drain. I experienced it in stock Pie and it just happens randomly.

• poul_j@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I intend to turn it off again(see my reply above) so that should not be an issue.

• poul_j@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Problem is there is a few apps I need and can only get there(to buy certain train tickets) and I cant simply just do it on the train companys website. All the time I have had this android phone I have had Google Play store disabled and im running a vpn firewall so no calls from any app is going through. Would I be able to just get a few apps and then disable and firewall anything *.google.com again ?

• shortwavesurfer@monero.house
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Aurora still works for now

Edit: to answer your question the play store may or may not be bad and since its closed source software we really have no good way to find out. With that said, the store requires play services and we know all the creepy stuff google knows is collected via play services. Some of these include real time location, what network type and network name or carrier, what apps are installed, how long you use apps, what sites you visit and for how long, battery charge state and percent of charge, sound status such as sound vibrate or silent, what you type on keyboards, etc

• poul_j@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

All the time I have had this android phone I have had Google Play store disabled and im running a vpn firewall so no calls from any app is going through. Would I be able to just get a few apps and then disable and firewall anything *.google.com again ?

• shortwavesurfer@monero.house
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, you could do that. Any data collected during that time would be for sure sent to google. I do not know if play services archives data to be sent or not. If it does then google may get quite a bit of previous data. Personally i run LineageOS with no gapps package even installed. If i cant access the play store i just lose access to 3 apps and will work around them. The biggest one of those is my bank so i may be forced to either do banking from my laptop (they gimp the mobile site and want you to get the app) or at worst i will switch banks

• aussiematt@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Aurora is still working. Google was doing things like rate-limiting and shutting down the accounts used by Aurora for anonymised downloads. You can create your own google account and use that with Aurora. That way, if Google decides to shut down that throw-away account for some reason, the main Google account won’t be affected (there was some information floating around that google had been deactivating accounts found to be used with Aurora).