The officer was previously disciplined 4 times for other driving offenses, but killing someone - well - $35.50 oughta cover it.

• Bizarroland@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I picked an example that was exactly pertinent and relevant to this specific chain of conversation.

I bet you’re one of those people that thinks the McDonald’s Hot coffee lady was an absurd lawsuit.

• essteeyou@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

The coffee was unreasonably hot, right? Fair enough.

Did you see any of the examples on the link I posted that clearly show America is incredibly litigous, which was the point of the reply?

• Bizarroland@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Yes, the problem is that there is no redress of grievances outside of the legal system.

The only options are

1: to keep things as they are

2: to make it so that if something happens you just can’t sue anyone and tough luck, or

3: institute a new system, in which case you have to get such a huge percentage of the population on board with your new plan that it basically amounts to a constitutional amendment.

So you can complain about how often people sue each other all you want, but until you come up with a new and better solution and actually get it passed then all you’re doing is griping.

• essteeyou@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Right, let me just go and fix it myself or forever be silent. I forgot people aren’t allowed to complain about things.