General financials:

I can afford to pay them off in full and have plenty left over for general life needs

The interest rates on them should be 4.53% according to their chart of when it was awarded.

If I do hold onto the money and pay off monthly I can put everything into a CD but I’ll still be losing .03% if I lock in the student loan money maybe I’ll beat but .07-.43% so not a ton of upside unless there’s sudden political will to actually follow through on student loan forgiveness.

Is there anything else I’m missing when considering this? I am leaning towards just pay off as I’ve been planning for this, but I want to make sure there isn’t something else to do.

• bytor9@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I think you’re okay either way but personally if I have an emergency fund and no higher interest debt, I’m paying that off for sure. Even if I lost a couple bucks, worth it for peace of mind.

Would be different if the debt was a mortgage at 3%, which many people do have right now.

Edit: One note for folks doing similar math, don’t forget interest and yield on bonds are taxed as ordinary income (20~30% in the US).