Another Reddit refugee here,

I think we’re all familiar with the Karma system on Reddit. Do you think Lemmy should have something similar? Because I can see cases for and against it.

For: a way to tracking quality contributions by a user, quantifying reputation. Useful to keep new accounts from spamming communities.

Against: Often not a useful metric, can be botted or otherwise unearned (see u/spez), maybe we should have something else?

What do you all think?

• Nioxic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

for what purpose?

i genuinly cant think of any reason other than encourage reposting bots

personally i dont care at all about karma.

so long as the upvote/downvote system works, regarding post (and comment) visibility etc.

• Rull_9@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the upvote downvote system is a really great way to see what sort of ideas divide a community, as long as we can see both upvotes and downvotes. Reddit just made it a goal to farm as many upvotes as possible for that silly little Karma number to go up. I think karma (in a backend sense) could work for mods to be able to see problem users etc. but even then its still a pretty silly idea.

• JeffCraig@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Karma is a great method of driving interaction, but like you’ve highlighted, it can result in a lot of unwanted behaviors.

Other social media is a good example of what to be avoided. People are driven to gather more followers and their content devolves into the lowest common denominator rapidly.

I wouldn’t mind some form of recognition for people that contribute good content to communities, but I don’t know exactly what that would look like.

As far as karma goes, we have a technological limitation in the fediverse, where your karma would be limited to the instance your user account is registered on. They could figure out how to make it work, but I’m just not sure it’s worth the effort. We have a lot of other things to focus on atm.