• Storksforlegs@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I keep hoping that since Microsoft owns Obsidian they might somehow allow Obsidian to make another fallout game… I miss good writing in Fallout.

• FreeFacts@sopuli.xyz
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Considering that Bethesda doesn’t seem to have enough people to work full time with two major releases simultaneously, giving Fallout to other studios wouldn’t be that far fetched. Otherwise Microsoft would have to wait for Elder Scrolls 6 release to have a full team working on a Fallout game, and that release window is rumoured to be 5-6 years from now. So 8+ more years without a real main series game in one of their big franchises seems like bad business…

Interesting thing is that Microsoft has the key building blocks from Interplay era under their banner already. Through Obsidian they have Tim Cain, Chris Jones and Feargus Urquhart, who lead the first two Fallout games. inExile has Brian Fargo, the original idea man of the series. And Bethesda has the IP. They could really get the original team together to cook up a new game.

• Feydaikin@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

They could really get the original team together to cook up a new game.

I shit you not, that was likely an idea MS had when they started buying up all the studios. But the boys are slowly starting to retire from game development or have moved on to greener pastures and other ideas, so good luck on the prospect of some OG Fallout/Wasteland stuff coming.

Plus, let’s not delude ourselves into thinking MS gives a shit about the customers, the franchises or anything other than their own wallets.

And Bethesda has been a shitshow for a while now and it shows in their games. Poor management leads to poor development and poor products. If they have 3000+ employees and only releases one game every 5(+/-) years. And the games are still so alpha-levels of broken upon release that the Modding Community have to fix every release, for the same bugs, every time, you’re doing something wrong.

I’m not trying to be super negative here. Cynical? Sure. But mostly just trying to give another perspective.

I believe something is coming. But don’t get your hopes up too high. In the end, it’s more that likely just about milking something that maybe should have remained dead.