• phario@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I kind of both enjoy and detest that site. A lot of the time I just want to know the best general knot for a general situation—not a million knots I’ll never use where I have to click and read about each one.

Like for instance, if I need a loop at the end of a cord, a bowline is a good knot.

What about if I need a knot that allows me to take a rope around a pole? Like a hitch.

It would be nice to have a single website just giving the top 5 knots you need to cover 90% of the situations.

• yimby@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

What about if I need a knot that allows me to take a rope around a pole? Like a hitch.

Also a bowline haha. Wrap the rope around the pole and then tie a bowline as you usually would: make a bight on the trailing end and thread the leading end through. Bonus points for using a bowline with a yosemite finish to stop it from coming undone.

• phario@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I didn’t communicate myself so well. I’m imagining a situation where the knot needs to be under pressure to bind the two pieces together. I’m not experienced with bowlines but it doesn’t allow me to do tighten by cinching (does that make sense?)

• shottymcb@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Bowline, trucker’s hitch, alpine butterfly, taut-line hitch, square knot, and clove hitch will cover most things you need rope for. Unless you’re climbing.