• mahony@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The client side scanning of contents of your phone is the most 1984 thing you will hear.

• CrypticCoffee@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I don’t agree, it is perfectly normal to spy on people and make sure they’re not committing a crime. I’m sure execs of these companies and those politicians would be fine with that if we were watching from their windows just to make sure they aren’t using illegal content… /s

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It was client side scanning if you chose to upload those files to iCloud. The equivalent of having your ID checked before you enter a club.

• rikonium
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yes, however my (Others may have other concerns, this is just off the top of my head) chief concern was the breaking a major barrier - in that explicitly user-hostile code would be running on the device itself, one I own. I’d say it’s more of the equivalent of club employees entering your home to check your ID prior to, or during your club visit, and using your restroom/eating a snack while they’re there. (scanning would use “your” device’s resources)

There’s also the trivial nature of flipping the require_iCloud_photos=“true” value to “false” whether by intention or by accident. I have an open ticket with Apple support where my Apple Maps saved locations, favorites, guides, Home, reports, reviews ALL vanished without a trace. Just got a callback today saying that engineering is aware of the problem and that it’s expected to be resolved in the next iOS update. I’m the meantime, I’m SOL, so accidents and problems can and do happen, nor is Apple the police.

And on top of that there’s also concerns of upstream perversion of the CSAM database for other purposes - after all, who can audit it to ensure it’s use for CSAM exclusively and who can add to it? Will those images from the device and database be pulled out for trials or would it be a “trust the machine, the odds of false positives are x%” situation? (I believe those questions might have been already answered when the controversy was flying but there’s just a lot of cans of worms waiting to be opened with this, as well as Apple being pressured to scan for more things once the technology has been made.)

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

The CSAM database isn’t controlled by Apple. It’s already in use practically everywhere. Apple tried to compromise between allowing private encrypted image storage at scale and making sure they aren’t a hot bed for CSAM. Their competitors just keep it unencrypted and scan it for content, which last time I checked is worse 🤷‍♂️

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

But Apple still fetches that list of hashes and can be made to send an alternative list to scan for

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

It’s not very useful for much else. It only find known copies of existing CSAM. It doesn’t detect new ones. Governments could already force Apple to do whatever they want, so it’s a keep to say this is going to do much more.

• mahony@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

You go way out of your way to lick Apples boot here. With comparing hashes to whatever Apple wants/is told to, you can profile everyone, find leaked material the gov doesnt want you to have and so on. The fact that people just accept it, or endorse it is beyond me, but again, after the last 3 years I came to the conclusion that most people are scared to be free.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

While scanning for leaked government documents is the first thing I’ve heard that could be a problem for whistleblowers, I’ll point out this scanning tech is already in use in major cloud platforms and no government has forced anyone to do it. Having a database of all government documents like that wouldn’t be trivial to put together either. It’s just not practical to be used that way.

I don’t care that it was Apple who did this, it presents a legitimate answer to E2E encryption of data while cutting many government arguments off at the legs. Without an answer we are closer to E2E being made illegal then we are nothing happening.

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Let’s say my grandson came to a realization that he was actually my granddaughter. She grows her hair long. She practices with make-up and gets some cute dresses and skirts, and is totally into it.

Now Apple knows.

Any any law-enforcement interests that think its wrong or abusive by fiat can force Apple to let them know.

Same, if my grandkid decides they are pagan and go from wearing a cross to wearing a pentacle.

Same if law enforcement notices that they are caramel colored, that mom is Germanic pale and dad is dark brown.

The US is a society in which neither law nor law enforcement are on our side, and can at any time decide that arbitrary life shit is worthy of sending a SWAT team to collect us. And if the GOP is determined to make it worse.

• Kelsenellenelvial@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Not really. The plan that Apple backpedaled on was to compare hashes photos on device to hashes of known CSAM material. They wouldn’t see any user-generated photos unless they was a hash collision. Other companies have been known to report false positives on user-generated photos and delete accounts with no process to recover them.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

They published a white paper on it. It would have taken many detected examples before they did anything about it. It’s not strictly a hash as it’s not looking for exact copies but similar ones. Collisions have been proven, but afaik they are all reverse engineered. Just Grey blobs of nonsense that match CSAM examples. I don’t recall hearing about someone’s random taken photo matching with anything, but correct me if I’m wrong.

• Kelsenellenelvial@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

True, it’s hash-like in that the comparison is using some mathematic representation of the source material. It was intended to be a little fuzzy so it would still catch minor alterations like cropping, watermarks, rendering to a new format, etc…

The example I heard of was someone that was using an app for a remote doctors appointment. The doctor requested photos of the issue, a rash in the genital area of a minor, supposedly one included an adult hand touching the area involved. That photo ended up in Google’s cloud service where it was flagged, reported to law enforcement, and that users while Google account was frozen. The investigation quickly confirmed the innocence of the photo, and provided official documentation of such, but last I heard Google would not release the account.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Google has unencrypted access to your files to do whatever they want with, do we know this was the same CSAM system or one of Google internal ones? Google Photos does their face and object scanning on the cloud where apple does it on device.

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

This assumes the program stays that way. Much the way Google promised no human would look at (or be able to look at) the data set, we dont have an external oversight entity watching over Apple.

And then there’s the matter of mission creep, much the way the NSA PRISM program was supposed to only deal with foreign threats to national security (specifically Islamist terrorism) yet now it tells local precincts about large liquidatable assets that can be easily seized.

Even if it only looks as hash codes, it means law enforcement can add its own catalog of hashes to isolate and secure, say content that is embarrassing to law enforcement, like videos of police gunning down unarmed, unresisting suspects in cold blood, which are challenged only when the event is captured on a private smartphone.

• regalia@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You’re paying to reserve some space in their cloud to store your encrypted bits. If you exchange money for that space, then you’re entitled for it to be encrypted and private.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Find me any place you don’t own that you can store your stuff that has no restrictions on what you can store there.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Something like Proton Cloud, or a self hosted Nextcloud instance. If it’s encrypted, it’s nobody’s business.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Not according to their terms of service

You agree not to use your Account or the Services for any illegal or prohibited activities. Unauthorized activities include, but are not limited to: Disrupting the Company’s networks and Servers in your use of the Services; Accessing/sharing/downloading/uploading illegal content, including but not limited to Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) or content related to CSAM;

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

It’s e2ee, that’s just for them to legally cover their ass. They have zero knowledge of what’s uploaded.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Proton hasn’t really gotten pushback yet as they are small. If Pedophiles start utilizing Proton for CSAM I guarantee you things will change or they will shut down. Another full e2e provider, can’t recall the name at the moment, just ended up shutting their service down when governments started coming after them. They aren’t the guys from the PirateBay.

• Asudox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

WHO ELSE WILL PROTECT THE CHILDREN IF THE GOVERNMENT ISN’T THERE FOR THEM?! CHILDREN… THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

• squid@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Best way to fix the issue is for parents to monitor they’re kids internet usage and not big brother. And the online pics and people acting on these urges are the end result of a bigger issue that if we focused on would better benefit the live of everyone. And let’s be honest, who truely believes that apple or any big tech company are acting in the interest of mankind, its a company with its sole purpose is to make money

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Apple will find a way to make it about money if at all possible. Large companies are known for following the law as minimally as possible and pretty much only making decisions that benefit them financially.

• KrombopulosMikl @lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Can we please start ignoring these groups? “The Children” are their only concern no matter how it might negatively affect anyone else. Kids who are abused or trafficked should be helped, but that’s not the only issue we have right now and it’s definitely not more important than the effects eroding privacy would have for people and groups around the world. But these “wHaT aBoUt ThE cHiLdReN?!” groups really don’t care - as long as their concerns are addressed everyone else can go fuck themselves. Plus, lots of these groups are primarily staffed and run by former or current LEO who would like to see less privacy anyways.

• PleasantAura@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Almost none of these groups actually care about the kids. Most of them actively support policies that are proven to enable/cause more abuse because it feels like they’re hurting the bad guys. As a childhood survivor of a bunch of awful shit that I don’t want to get into specifics on, I’ve never seen a single “for the children” group advocate anything that wouldn’t have caused more trauma for me when I was younger. There’s no care about fixing problems and preventing childhood trauma/abuse, just care about asserting control and investing in what “feels good”: retributive justice (that’s more likely to cause recidivism) against one single specific style of abuser while ignoring others (and the survivors) entirely.

This is more about feeling good (and, for some, more authoritarian control) than about actually helping the issue of child abuse.

• OscarRobin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Also I highly suspect groups like this one in particular are funded or even founded by government organizations with a high interest in accessing all your data.

• privacyfalcon9899@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Completely agree. They should follow the Jeffrey Epstein’s link and networks if they have the balls. You don’t need to scan all people’s phone on earth. Well, it includes high profile people, so good luck with that.

• Bipta@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The other day I saw a story “legal marijuana hurts the children” was filed in a court argument. No support for that sensationalist claim, of course.

• Lmaydev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Children being sexually absued is absolutely more important then iPhones automatically scanning things you upload to their private servers.

• rikonium
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m glad that this is finally put to rest. I ditched iCloud in protest of this but came back after Advanced Data Protection came along.

Although now I just send my photos to my PC directly now (Photosync) and copy files with iTunes since iCloud Drive (on Windows) kept breaking and also ballooning it’s logs to absurd sizes. So I’m just paying for cloud backups and message storage.