Social media is on the decline. Instagram is all ads. No one’s posting on BeReal. TikTok is for influencers. The new place for sharing: group chats.

• systemglitch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This and Reddit are 100% social media. Right now, writing this, we are socializing on this media.

Maybe I’m wrong, but this is how I’ve viewed it for years

• arglebargle@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

No, I don’t think so. Not in the sense that social media became defined. Web forum, and bbs rooms, existed long before the term. The key difference and turning point was removal of anonymity, and the concept of self promotion. I know they are similar and overlap, but the evolution from one to the other did occur. Reddit and Lemmy still have more in common with news aggregation and forums than say a Titter, Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok. Most of the content here is in reference to something else, end then discussion are on that.

• R51@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

nah. Social Media has a sort of implied entertainment attached to it, which is not a good description of, e.g., this very discussion. This -can- be social media if you’re just lurking, but for us conversing here this is now a forum. We’re sharing thoughts and discussing.

• Vashti@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

…for entertainment. For fun.

I don’t think many of us would come here if it wasn’t fun.