Everyone has something they can’t stop themselves from nerding out over - but often it’s hard to find people to talk to about it. So go ahead, share your interests, and tell us about them!

• Track_Shovel@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Why are you trying to remove iron? Make sure you’re correctly identifying the symptoms of toxicity if you suspect Iron toxicity in plants, as this is relativity rare.

To reduce soil iron availability to plants, you need to add a liming agent and target a pH of 7 to 7.5

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

More like prevent it. This was a problem faced by little farming commune back in the 70s, that I recently heard someone talking about.

Would that liming agent be a natural thing or would it have been pesticides or something? Could that happen from fertilizer?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Ok, hold on to your hat for a second.

Iron is naturally occurring in the soil and you don’t usually get toxicity issues unless there’s a source such as mining, tailings or a junkyard or something like I suppose.

The liming agent depends on what you want to use. Typically it’s something with a higher pH such as wood ash (careful), bonemeal, or lime (CaO)

By adding the Liming agent you increase the soil pH and reduce the availability of iron in the soil. The total amount of iron will still be there but it will be in unavailable form

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Preventing the loss of iron. Preventing chelation. The problem was chelation of iron. Goal was to prevent it.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Sorry, I missed the boat on that one.

You want to lower pH and use humic acid which will make iron more plant available