Chrome OS saw a good raise too. OS X(Mac) saw a decrease.

• Jeena
    link
    fedilink
    English
    418 months ago

So if 0.07% increase per year, then It’ll only take us 1428 years for full Linux domination of 100%!

• The Menemen!
      link
      fedilink
      English
      68 months ago

Our corporation (170k employees) switched to google workspace and demands that everyone who can, should work with a chrome book. It’s wild. It’s still a minority, but we actually have a significant percentage working exclusively on chromebooks now (still single digit thought afaik).

• halo5
    link
    fedilink
    188 months ago

OS X(Mac) saw a decrease.

OSX makes no sense to me these days. I can have a similar interface in Linux with Gnome+Dash-to-Dock, plus I get access to most PC games via Proton and it provides ALL of the development tools that I need. I’d add that, at least in my experience, most Ryzen-based laptops run Linux with absolutely no issues…

• Franzia
      link
      fedilink
      English
      28 months ago

There is a decent used market for Macs, and the software is usually the pull. There’s no headache of installing or configuring options on Mac, either. Is there a Linux distro that installs from USB nd works with no config or a few theme options?

• @MDZA@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    118 months ago

After being a lifelong Windows user, I switched to Pop!_OS for around a year before going back to Windows 10 a few months ago.

I went back to Windows, just because a few things weren’t as plug and play as I’d hoped but started to get really annoyed with how intrusive Windows was.

After using Mint for about a month now, I don’t think I’ll go back to Windows. It just does what I want.

• Franzia
      link
      fedilink
      English
      48 months ago

I’m happy to read your experience! Do you prefer Mint over Pop? Mint is more windows-like, if I remember correctly?

• @MDZA@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        28 months ago

Prefer mint for sure. What I like most about it is how reliable and unobtrusive it is.

I’ve had zero issues with getting any hardware or software up and running with it, and it just gets out of the way and lets me use my PC how I want.

• @johnthedoe@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    58 months ago

Adobe apps are the only thing holding out for me to potentially go full Linux. I’m not holding my breath for proper usable support for a professional capacity

• Verdant Banana
    link
    fedilink
    English
    58 months ago

our computer shop just started a $35 out the door 120gb ssd special with arch linux on gnome preinstalled that sells like hotcakes most of the machines coming in are windows 8 or older hardware so perfect match

most are happy without microsoft and libreoffice so far has been enough with aur repositories filling in what else is needed

windows could never compete with the hardware requirements

• @finn_der_mensch
    link
    English
    58 months ago

So in the graph you can see how windows lost some market share, macOS is the winner in that and all the others incl Linux are unaffected.

• @ColeSloth
    link
    English
    48 months ago

Are they counting steam decks? Cause that’s kinda cheating.

• @nous@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        48 months ago

And are very likely under reporting Linux uses as a lot of web browsers just report they are windows especially privacy focused ones. I know mine does and I am just using Firefox.