The point is not to chill and just burn through the savings and not work. How would having that much money saved, change the way you look for jobs?

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I used to say 10k is enough to solve one major problem in my life and that was it. Enough to bailout a relative, enough to move across the country for a new job, enough to rebuild after a fire/flood, enough to buy a reasonable car in cash. 10k is not just money, 10k is a force in its own right. It represents one thing that should destroy my life or someone around me life nd make it go away.

Many years ago my wife wanted to finish her degree and she made 2k a month. I gave her my ten thousand and told her to focus on studies for five months. Worked out.

With inflation it is probably 15k now.

• BottleOfAlkahest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I recently moved across the US. 15k would be possible but it would be tight (assuming everything you own doesnt fit in the back of your car). Also assuming youre including all moving expenses like reregistering a car, gas to drive across the country, deposits on rent/utilities, a month of overlap on rent, etc. All the little things start adding up quickly with a move that far.